More than one Taste of Downtown in Alton
With the lineup of options offered at Alton's Taste of Downtown, the name - which infers a singular "taste" - could be a bit misleading.
Enjoy a Delicious Taste of Alton
To be clear, the roster of restaurants slinging fare at Thursday's event at Argosy Casino's Music Hall is actually 17 players deep, all offering a - singular - "taste" of a menu highlight.
And for a measly 15 bucks, guests sample all 20 tastes. If we're still brushing up on our math skills, that's 88.2 cents a turn.
It's an even a better deal than last year, according to event organizer Alton Main Street's executive director, Sara McGibany.
"We've had 16 restaurants for the past few years, and have bumped that number up to 17 this time around including seven new participants," she said. "The chefs have really kicked it up a notch this year with their creative menu items; this might be the best variety we've had to date. Argosy has reconfigured their space a lot since last year, so we have added more seating and high top tables to the Music Hall as well as additional seating out in Hops House."
The event runs from 5 to 8 p.m.
Tickets are on sale now at the Alton Visitors Center (200 Piasa St.) and Bossanova Restaurant & Lounge (112 W. 3rd St.) - credit, debit, cash or check payments can be accepted.
Only 350 tickets are available and The Taste is known to sell out. Guests must be 21 years of age with a valid ID. All proceeds from this fundraiser will help Alton Main Street advance the organization's goals to beautify and promote Alton's historic downtown district.
The tastes are:
Here are the final details of the menu!
- Plum sriracha pork belly tacos & autumn spice cake from Journey at Argosy Casino Alton.
- Potato & cheddar pierogis - savory dumplings with bacon, onion, sour cream from Great Rivers Tap & Grill.
- Kale salad with spiced chickpeas and sun-dried tomato vinaigrette from The Old Bakery Beer Company.
- Italian sub sliders with volpi salami, mortadella, capicola, homemade pepperoni, and fontinella cheese, plus Italian meatballs & toasted ravioli from Princivalli's Café
- Artisan bread from Edible Art Bakery in the following flavors: - parmesan truffle, garlic herb, garlic cheddar and everything.
- Roasted butternut squash soup and chocolate dipped strawberries from Lewis & Clark Community College Catering Services.
- Bill Roe Tavern Salad from Mac's Time Out Lounge.
- Bubble & Squeak, a hearty fried vegetable hash from Morrison's Irish Pub.
- Pork tenderloin strips & salad from Johnson's Corner.
- Smoked pretzels from Bubba Grump.
- Bunkhouse Joe Coffee served by The Underground Coffeehouse on Broadway.
- Shrimp and asparagus pasta from Chez Marilyn.
- Chicken & sweet potato masala with wilted kale from The Schoolhouse Grill at Senior Services Plus.
- Pumpkin Pie cheesecake from Nana's Kitchen at the Gift Box.
- Lentil soup from Grassroots Grocery
- Bacon wrapped dates from Bossanova Restaurant & Lounge
- Gumbo from Elijah P's Burgers & Brews