Evening with the Spirit World
301 E. Broadway, Alton, IL 62002
- Presented By: American Hauntings
- Dates: October 17, 2020
- Location: Mineral Springs Mall
- Time: 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
- Price: $44 per person
Join Troy and Lisa from American Hauntings at the haunted Mineral Springs Hotel for another night of our “An Evening with…” series of events! This eerie night will include a catered dinner, served at the hotel, just as they did back in 1914 when the hotel opened. After dinner, author Troy Taylor will be presenting “An Evening with the Spirit World,” the true story of American’s obsession with spirit communications, séances, scandals, and sins!
Spiritualism — like jazz music — is an American invention. Starting in the middle of the nineteenth century and continuing today, Americans have been influenced by the supernatural. Since the Fox sisters first reported the “mysterious rappings” in their New York home, mediums, magicians, and ghost hunters have played have delved into the mystery of communication with the spirit world. Discover the roots of our fascination with ghosts, hauntings, and talking to the dead and explore the rich, entertaining, colorful, and eerie history of séances, ectoplasm, table rappings, Ouija boards, spirit cabinets, and more!
From the mediums of Spiritualism’s golden age to the ghost hunters of the modern era, author Troy Taylor uses this night to shine a light on the phantasms and frauds of the past, the inexplicable and violent events that kept Spiritualism alive in a new century, the first researchers who dared to investigate the unknown, and the stories and events that galvanized the pubic and turned the spirit world into something we still talk about today! Join us for a thrilling exploration of the creation of paranormal popular culture in America, filled with heroes, villains, skeptics, believers, horrors, and hoaxes.
* What really happened at the Fox home in New York?
* How did Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War save Spiritualism?
* Who held the first séances in the White House?
* Who were the first ghost hunters in American history?
* What supernatural events in American history have NEVER been explained?
* Did one American medium truly fly during his séances?
* What is ectoplasm and how did it become a sign of spirit contact?
* What happened during a séance during Spiritualism’s heyday?
* Why did so many people see ghosts and talk with the dead?
* Why did Harry Houdini became a famous debunker of phony Spiritualists?
Troy will answer all these questions — and many more! — during our “Evening with the Spirit World!” If you’ve always wanted to know why ghost shows on television are so popular, or how the paranormal field actually began, then this is the night for you!