Just 15 minutes from Downtown St. Louis, Glen Carbon (which literally means Valley of Coal) is a village rich in heritage, dating back to 1809 when it was called the “Goshen Settlement”.
Trains, mines and merchants highlighted the early years of prosperity for the settlement. In 1891, industry came to the area with the establishment of the Madison Coal Company, which opened four mines and the advent of the St. Louis Press Brick Company. Paying homage to its coal mining roots, the village was renamed Glen Carbon and was incorporated in 1892.
Today, Glen Carbon continues its merchant-based past with over 300 businesses calling the village home. Named by various publications as “One of the Best Places to Live in the U.S.”, the Village has quality bicycle trails, walking trails and parks.