A Wonderful Day for an Adventure

Today, my standing Friday morning meeting was cancelled, so I had a rare day with nothing on the calendar.

The forecast was for a high in the mid-80s (very nice for this time of year), so Hubby Tony scheduled a vacation day and we decided to go on an outside adventure.

After breakfast he loaded the bikes in the car and we set off. Our destination was the Lewis and Clark Confluence Tower, across the river in Illinois, about an hour's drive from the house. The tall tower, which is close to the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, was easy to see from a distance. As we pulled into the parking lot the most noticeable feature was the three observation landings.

However, the tower would have to wait; it wasn't open yet, so we pulled out our bikes and got ready to ride. We found the MCT Confluence Trail just behind the tower and turned to the south. The trail wound around the perimeter of the tower grounds, then made a turn and ran next to the river levee. When we reached the Mississippi just south of the confluence the trail veered to the left and moved on top of the levee, providing an unobstructed view of the river.

We rode about seven miles south, then turned around. For the most part the sun stayed behind the clouds, which made for a cool and comfortable ride. About a half mile before we got back to the tower we went right and made a stop at the Lewis and Clark State Historic Site, which commemorates the Illinois starting point of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

The site had a very nice interpretative center, but we didn't spend much time there. We were getting hungry, and our food was all back in the car. It was a quick ride back to the tower. While we ate we walked through the garden area and read the informational signs, then headed toward the visitor center to get our tickets. We only had to wait a few minutes for a tour guide, who led us up the elevator.

There are landings at 50, 100, and 150 feet. At the highest point we could see downtown St. Louis and the Gateway Arch, which is 19 miles south. As we walked from one side of the landing to the other, Tony felt a drop of rain hit his arm. By time we got back to the car there was a steady drizzle coming down. It was time to end our adventure and head home.