Icy Conditions Cause Cancellations, Closures
An anticipated ice storm in the region has prompted the cancellation of activities and the closure of businesses in the Alton area.
An Eagle Meet and Greet at the Alton Visitor Center, 200 Piasa St., Alton, and Eagle Watching Shuttle Tours, leaving from the Visitor Center, planned for Saturday, Jan. 14 have been cancelled. An ice storm warning has been issued for Friday, Jan. 13 through Saturday, Jan. 14.
“We want everyone to be safe,” Alton Regional Convention and Visitors Bureau President and CEO Brett Stawar said. “The eagles are here and people can see them in their natural habitat along the Meeting of the Great Rivers National Scenic Byway, the Audubon Center at Riverlands and other area attractions after the storm moves out and the roads are safe to travel.”
The Alton Visitor Center will host an Eagle Meet and Greet on Saturday, Jan. 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and again on Saturday, Jan. 28. Eagle shuttle tours will also run as scheduled on those days.
Itchy Brothers at Confluence Tower Postponed
Also, the Itchy Brothers Chainsaw Art event scheduled Saturday at the Tower has been postponed until Saturday, Jan. 28.
Other Travel, Attraction and Event Disruptions, Closed Saturday
(Last updated Saturday, 11 a.m.)
- Aerie's Resort and Winery
- Alton City Offices
- Audubon Center at the Riverlands
- Alton Musum of History and Art
- Brussels Ferry
- Grafton Oyster Bar
- My Just Desserts
- National Great Rivers Museum
Cancelled/Postponed Weekend Events
- Glendale Riders concert at Bluff City Grill postponed until Feb. 3.
- Grafton Oyster Bar Comfort Food Festival postponed until Jan. 21 and 22
- Alton Museum of History and Art Friday Night at the Museum postponed until Jan. 20.
- Boy Scouts Klondike Derby at Camp Warren Levis on Saturday, cancelled.
- Rogers and Neinhaus concert at Elijah P's postponed until Jan. 7.