Top 25 Summer Stops
Kick back, relax and take a drive along the Meeting of the Great Rivers Scenic Byway.
25 Summer Hot Spots
You haven't truly escaped the everyday chaos and slipped into relaxation until you've made your getaway this summer all around Alton, Illinois. The wide open road and rolling waters of the Mississippi River are calling your name and begging you to spend a few days all around Alton. Download the new Summer Escape Guide and start planning your trip, or call us at (800) 258-6645 to receive a mailed copy.
In celebration of our 25th anniversary, the Alton Regional Convention & Visitors Bureau is inviting you to hop into your car and hit the byway to experience 25 Summer Hot Spots, the must see site and attractions you have to experience this summer. From Hartford to Alton to Grafton, drive along the byway for an unforgettable summer escape!
You haven't experienced summer all around Alton until you've checked off all the items on the list!
1. Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center: Prepare for the Journey Westward with the Corps of Discovery
2. Lewis & Clark Confluence Tower: View the confluence of the Mississippi & Missouri rivers from 150 feet in the air. It's our newest attraction & a must-see this summer!
3. Confluence Bike Trail: Ride on top the levee from Hartford to Alton.
4. Aquatic Center: Make a splash down the waterslides or wade in the pool in Wood River.
5. National Great Rivers Museum: Experience the power of the Mississippi River.
6. Melvin Price Locks & Dam: Check out free public tours 8 stories on top of the locks & dam.
7. Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary: Bring your birding checklist as hundreds of species of birds migrate along the Mississippi Flyway.
8. Riverfront Park & Amphitheater: Stroll through the park and spread out a blanket for concerts on the riverfront all summer long.
9. Argosy Casino Alton: Do you feel lucky? The slots are loose and the table limits reach as high as the sky.
10. Lincoln & Civil War Legacy Trail: Walk with Lincoln and soldiers from North & South to 10 Lincoln & Civil War sites.
11. Shopping on Antique Row: Unique boutiques and rare finds await on Broadway in Alton, Main Street in Grafton and State Street in Jerseyville.
12. Jacoby Art Center: Browse the local talent in the gallery or come on the last Saturday of the month for live music.
13. Great Rivers Golf Trail: Tee off at all nine of our courses - some of the best in St. Louis.
14. Robert Wadlow Statue: Measure up to the World's Tallest Man and learn about his life at the Alton Museum of History & Art.
15. Piasa Bird: This man-eating bird-like creature is nothing less than legendary!
16. Sam Vadalabene Bike Trail: It's one of Illinois' most popular trails, taking you 25 miles from Alton to Pere Marquette alongside the scenic byway.
17. Signature Gardens: Head out to Lewis & Clark Community College where sculptures complement the blooming gardens.
18. Village of Elsah: Walk among the tidy gardens and stone cottages in the Village Where Time Stood Still.
19. Principia College: It's the only Christian Scientist College in the world and a true architectural gem.
20. Wineries of Grafton: Get a taste of the local flavors sipping a glass of wine bluff-top or riverside.
21. Raging Rivers Water Park: Hit the waterslides or float along the Lazy River at the hottest summer spot on the byway.
22. Two Rivers National Wildlife Refuge: Fish, hike or just take a walk along the trails to view wildlife in its natural habitat.
23. Calhoun County: Take the Brussels Ferry to pick a peck of Calhoun County Peaches!
24. Pere Marquette State Park: Enjoy the winding trails of the park on foot or head to the riding stables for a horseback riding adventure.
25. Center for American Archeology: Uncover the 10,000 year pre-history of the Illinois River valley at the Koster site in Kampsville.