January 6, 2024, 10:00am
Alton Eagle Ice Festival 2024
Enjoy a variety of activities in celebration of wintering American Bald Eagles returning to southwest Illinois during Eagle Fest! The celebration will take place at FLOCK Food Truck Park, National Great Rivers Museum and the Audubon Center at Riverlands.
Get a bite to eat, see a live eagle from the World Bird Sanctuary, take an eagle-watching tour, and enjoy fun winter activities for all ages!
All events are taking place between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Here are highlights of activities available:
- Ever had the opportunity to view a majestic American Bald Eagle up close? Head to FLOCK Food Truck Park from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for a free Eagle Meet & Greet and a chance to get your picture taken with America's national animal! The Eagle Ice Festival at FLOCK will also include food trucks (Pig On a Wing, Dippidy Donuts, & Washington Kettle Corn), drinks available from the FLOCK bar, DJ tunes, live ice carvers from Ice Visions, eagle-watching shuttle tours (departing from the Alton Visitor's Center), Eagle Fest Beer from Old Bakery Beer Company, fire pits with s'mores kits for sale, face painting for kids, and more!
- The National Great Rivers Museum will also be offering a number of free family-friendly activities - stop by the theater for talks by eagle experts and to watch eagle film showings. Look through spotting scopes for a chance to view an eagle nest. Make and take your own eagle craft -- an eagle head wrap!
- Those seeking to see more beautiful birds of prey can stop by the Audubon Center at Riverlands across the Mississippi from Alton to view wild birds like eagles and trumpeter swans and meet a Bald Eagle on live display from the World Bird Sanctuary. Enjoy guided bird hikes, eagle crafts, interacting trail education stations and firepits with s'mores kits available!
- The Lewis & Clark Confluence Tower will be open all day for tours to see American Bald Eagles from 50, 100 and 150 feet high. There will also be a Birds of Winter educational session featuring local raptors from TreeHouse Wildlife Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Admission is required for Tower tours but the Birds of Winter exhibit is free.
The Eagle Ice Festival is a free-to-attend public event held annually in Alton and is presented by Phillips 66 Wood River.
* Get your Alton Eagle-Watching shuttle tickets HERE! Eagle shuttle tours will be held between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. These 90 minute tours showcase the best spots to view American Bald Eagles all winter long. Tickets must be purchased online.
* Eagle-watching tours are by shuttle and limited to 15 occupants per tour. Tickets are $15 per person. Guided tours will be held at 11 AM and 1 PM showcasing the best places to view wintering American Bald Eagles along the great rivers.