Macoupin County Cannonball Jail
The historic Macoupin County jail was in service from 1869 to 1988. E.E. Meyers, the same architect who designed the county’s controversial courthouse, designed the Gothic Revival stone structure using the "cannonball method." Stones were hollowed out and leftover Civil War cannonballs were embedded into the stones used to build the walls, making an escape by removing stones nearly impossible. The jail was built to hold 17 prisoners but, on occasion, it was reported to house twice that number. Today, it is a popular tourist attraction and can be toured April - October from 9 AM - 4 PM daily or by appointment by calling 217-204-1446 or 217-825-9699. Tours are free- donations accepted.